Wednesday, July 25, 2007

ACLU Beware

Smokers, seek refuge in Pennsylvania.

I'm offering my hand in friendship as a non-smoker. This constitutional republic has yet to completely sell off our civil liberties for a little 'Bit-O-Safety' by passing a smoking ban. You are all welcome here until at least September when congress returns from their summer vacations.
Smokers
Why are we constantly asked give up our civil liberties? And when asked, why do we hand them over without resistance? Does anyone feel any safer?

I'm aware of the facts. I'm not completely heartless or an idiot. I don't think non-smokers should have to work in conditions that are unhealthy and unsuitable for them. I know smoking teeters on being the number one cause of preventable death; and is linked to a myriad of deadly diseases. However, one is free to choose where they work and socialize. I enjoyed living in Boston, a smoke free city, and not having to take a shower or air my clothes out when I came home after being at a bar or club. I just don't think these actions require laws to be enacted to disallow certain behaviors in certain places.

After smoking, a legal activity, is successfully banned in public areas to keep us safe what comes next? Ban food, of course food is legal, because obesity is responsible for 300,000 deaths a year? Ban alcohol, a legal drug, since it is responsible for 85,000 deaths a year? Ban automobiles, legal mode of transportation, because they are responsible for over 43,000 deaths a year? A mandatory curfew at dusk because statistically citizens out at night are more likely to be accosted than those out in the daylight? When will our governing laws find us to be safe enough?

Relax. I know. Worst case scenario and all that jazz. Still, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." - Ben Franklin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sign was in the sub shop before the whole talk of smoking ban. I took the same picture...

7/26/2007 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Ben Franklin! Jefferson said he would rather live in a country with no government than to live in one which had no free press. We move closer to that condition every day as the press reports what they are told to publish!

8/08/2007 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home