Thursday, March 10, 2005

Phone Sax

I had a phone audition today for a spot playing on a Princess Cruise. It's been a few years since I've done anything that has required an audition and I must say I was just a little bit nervous. It got off on the wrong foot already because I thought I was waiting for a call but in fact I was to be the initiator of the call. So I called and we started a little late due to my own inability to follow directions. The fellow was very pleasant and supporting and walking me through the audition as he was supposed to do. He had emailed me music last night for me to sight read today over the phone. I of course did for the most part sight read them all, I of course looked at them, but didn't really play them.

I played the Tenor piece with very few discrepancies, of course I made a few nervous errors but other than that he said it was were it needed to be. My Clarinet piece had slightly more errors. I feel I could have done it a great deal better and so did he. My Flute playing was horrendous. I knew that going in. I tried so hard to think positively about it but that can only help so much.

It's very hard switching between three very different instruments. Your mind needs some time to decompress. In the end I have no one to blame but myself. I haven't put the work in, and I know that wholeheartedly. I'm glad that my Tenor playing was good, or this whole entry would be of a very depressing nature. I know what I need to do, and I will work for it these next few months and set up another audition. So it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home