Friday, October 14, 2005

Blood Guy

I got in at 1:30 this morning.
Pop
GWAR was incredible. They were celebrating their 20th year of rocking. I met three of the members and got to talking with one. Joe, the blood cannon guy, sans costuming. He was really quiet and very down to earth. It really was odd to me that they were all really normal dudes.

During load in I got to handle the blood tanks. An experience no one should be without. Three 50 gallon pressurized tanks we had to fill with water as Joe, who has a permanent red pigment to his hair and skin, mixed his blood colored powder mixture. We ended up leaving one of the tanks unattended for a short time, in which time it overflowed, all down the sidewalk. Now the sidewalk has a great redish orange tint to it.
Mike's Eye
I got to bring Gor-Gor the Dinosaur's head in. As fun as that sounds, he was still soaked in blood from the previous nights show. Needless to say my hands were died red the rest of the day.

As we were continuing to move shit off their 18 wheeler into the theater there was a guy sitting on the street who had just bought his ticket to the show. We asked him if he wanted to help us load in. His eyes got wide as hell. He was fucking more than happy to help GWAR move their shit into the theater. I lost track of him throughout the day, but hopefully he atleast got to meet the guys.
Steve
I didn't get to see much of the show. They decided at the last minute that they wanted a live recording. It added more stress to a seemingly simple day but we pulled it off. They were incredibly tight and outside the crowd noise no one would really know it was a live album.

As we knew the theater was trashed and covered in blood and various other substances from their perfomance. They killed off, in order, Pope Benidict, George W, Dick Chenney, Sharon Osbourne, and Michael Jackson, as well as the normal Gor-Gor the Dinosaur and Wargel the 'whatever the hell he is.' We placed the entire theater under various plastic wraps and carpeting in a preemptive strike to help keep the fluids from any sort of permanent damage.
DSC00004
When I got home I hung my official GWAR working crew/backstage pass on my door then drifted off to sleep with visions of blood covered fans walking out of the theater cheering and loving life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home