Wednesday, December 07, 2005

You Shan't

I went to pick up 50 cans of tomatoes with Andy this afternoon.
Crosby Goal
Big Science is making homemade salsa for, what I'm assuming will be corporate Jesus-mas presents. I've never made salsa before, or assisted in salsa making as it were. Friday will be the salsa-vaganza.

I don't like to get preachy, or even overly opinionated but I'd like to express a small qualm I have with the Christian Right (which by my calculation is neither).
Face Off
Christians, lets have a chat. You've turned Christmas into a beast that cannot be fed. I'm sorry to say it, but when people say they're tired of not being able to say 'Merry Christmas' in school or see 'Merry Christmas' in stores or banners hanging up throughout the town square they are telling everyone to commercialize the holiday. Stop being so upset. I know you're in the minority, all 80% of you, but give it up.
Fleury
Do you really all want to go with the pundits and make this into a huge issue? Deal with it America. We're a diverse nation, filled with diverse cultures. I would love to see a more equal mix of religions in this country, and granted we do deal with diversity a hell of a lot better than most, but just let it go. Who cares if we have to call it a 'Holiday' play or say 'Happy Holidays'. Embrace the diversity of the nation. Love the fact that we can have several major religions all coexisting in one country. If there is one thing Jesus loved, it's semantics.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Gotta reply on this one Ray Ray. Freedom of speech, a card that this country plays a lot is being used in a hypocritical way here. We as Christians have been told by bosses and higher ups not to say Merry Christmas. That is UN-American, it is taking our freedom speech rights away from us. Am I as a Christian offended by someone saying "Happy Hanukkah" to me? No. But I will say in reply "Merry Christmas" because of what I believe and celebrate. I do not celebrate the day Jesus was born, I celebrate the Day Jesus was born to die, so that one day I could pray to him for forgiveness. I will stop there and say Merry Christmas!

Peace,
Eric

12/07/2005 7:17 PM  
Blogger holly said...

I do embrace the nation's diversity... but embracing diversity and banning the words 'Merry Christmas' are two very different beasts.

I don't mind commercial entities adopting the new slogan 'Happy Holidays'. However, I do mind those people making a huge issue by complaining about me saying 'Merry Christmas'. Not just complaining, but also discouraging me from doing so.

It has gotten so out of hand that now we are supposed to put up and decorate a 'Holiday Tree'? What other holiday has the tree tradition other than 'Christmas'? Are Jews now setting out the 'Holiday Candlestick'?

I just find it a bit over the top to be singling out the Christians for wanting to say 'Merry Christmas'. I suspect we would get an equal uproar if we were telling others to not say 'Happy Hanukkah' or 'Happy Kwanzaa'.
In fact... why are they singling out these particular holidays that fall in December? What about Diwali? And those holidays of other religions?

I guess we should just cut out all Holidays and any traditions of our many religions for fear it may hurt another's feelings...?

Just a thought.

12/07/2005 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home